Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wild: From Lost to Found in the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I craved Snapple through out this book because Cheryl Strayed mentions fantasizing of having one a few times in the book. 

At the age of 22, Cheryl Strayed looses her mother (who was only 45 years old) to cancer. It is at that point that Cheryl's life spirals out of control. She starts using sex and drugs to numb the pain of her loss, destroying her marriage and ultimately loosing herself in the process.

In 1995, a few years after her mother's death, Cheryl embarks on the journey of hiking over 1,000 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail (which goes from the Mexican border to the Canadian Border through California, Oregon and Washington) as a way of healing herself and it is through this journey that she begins to do just that as well as forgive herself.

I knew I would like this book when I cried on page one of the prologue after reading this: "I was alone. I was barefoot. I was twenty-six years old and an orphan too. An actual stray, a stranger had observed a couple of weeks before....."  Ugh, so powerful and relatable (to me anyway) and what can I say, I love a memoir. It is perhaps one of my favorite book genres, I especially like memoirs of women who have overcome painful obstacles in life. Those are my favorite kind of memoirs.

Cheryl Strayed's honest and unapologetic tone in the book were wonderful. Then there's the movie. Don't even get me started on the movie. I freaking loved it! Reese Whitherspoon was phenomenal in it and it is one of my favorites now.


Well, that is all for this time, until next time!

-Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment