Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Oh For The Love Of Books!

Travel Books
I don't think I can call myself an avid reader, but I do love books and I like to collect them. I have coffee table books, historical novels, college text books, books in Spanish, travel books, classic literature books, books in English, atlas books, decorating books, books in Portuguese, dictionary books, craft books, biographical books, self-help books, and even a couple of books in Italian and French (for me to practice Italian and French when I take Italian and French). I have maybe about 200 books which is really not very many (or is it?), but I would love to keep expanding my collection. I dream of having my own personal library some day, in spite of having to lug those books from place to place every time I move, which has been a lot.
College Text Books 
I know, I know, with all the great technology out there I should be reading ebooks on some gadget, but what can I say, I love holding a book while I'm reading it. I mainly buy used books anyway which saves me money and is good for the environment. Sure, ebooks are more practical. They take no space at all (except for the gadget) because they're paperless (I guess that's good for the environment too), but there is just something about books. I like having something tangible you see. I like being able to turn the pages of a book and highlight certain things I find interesting and even write in it. While I am aware I can go to a public library and check out books, I am a person that has a hard time parting with books, particularly if they were good reads or if they made me learn something (keep in mind that I don't keep books I didn't like). Besides, books make wonderful decorative pieces. I love displaying them and admiring them too. Am I being a book loving romantic or just a hoarder?
Bedside Table
Currently I have over 30 books on one of my bedside tables and about 8 or so on the other bedside table that I have not read yet. I recently counted these and I didn't know the number was that high. This is a first time confession, even to myself. I am a little ashamed to admit that I buy books knowing that I have lots of them at home that I haven't read yet. Not for lack of desire to read them, just lack of time mostly, but if it makes you feel any better I have every intention of reading each and every one of those books. Because of this I have stopped buying new books (well new to me).....for now.
Some of my books in Spanish
How I choose a book is another story. Books are often recommended to me or I'll read some fantastic review about one in a magazine or from Oprah's book club so I decide to get it, but there is also another way.........Now I know they say one should never judge a book by its cover, but I must admit I am guilty of doing this and quite often. I love going to thrift stores and yard sales and looking at books, well not just looking at them, I like buying them too, obviously. About half the time I go book hunting I find books that have been on my reading list. The other half of the time I find books that "look" interesting. If the cover and the title appeal to me then I will take the time to read the back and then I go from there, otherwise I probably won't give it the time of day. Yes, I'm a sucker for a good cover, but ultimately I know it's what's on the inside that counts.

Do you prefer ebooks or paper books? Do you ever buy books when you still have several (or dozens) to read at home? How do you select books to read?

Until next time!

-Liz
"Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around for months after you've finished it just to stay near it." -Markus Zusak

1 comment:

  1. I thought I would love ebooks. But honestly, when I read a book on Rich's Nook, I missed having the real thing! I'm terrible about buying books and not reading them. But it's clear that your problem is much worse. ;)
    LOVE THE BLOG!!!

    ReplyDelete