Monday, November 9, 2015

Pinner's Conference 2015


Becky Higgins talking about Project Life
I found out about the Pinner's Conference (yes, it's a thing) a week before it started thanks to a coupon I was given at Michaels. Apparently this is the second year this conference has been around and it might just be a Pinterest aficionado's dream come true!
I bought the two-day all-class pass, normally $40.00 ($36.00 with my Michael's 10% off coupon) plus tax which lets you register for all classes on Friday or Saturday. Unless of course you get the VIP pass for $90.00 then you can start the fun on Thursday evening and not have to register for any classes in advance. 

Friday was a bust, mainly because I didn't know how things worked. The first class I went to was called "The Magic of Building your Brand" and it honestly wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It was a panel of women discussing their brands, that's all. I'm sure it didn't help that I didn't know who any of them were. Then I went to the Calligraphy class, which I was not able to register for in advance because it was booked up by the time I got my pass and the day off at work. I "stood by" for it and got in, however, they did not have enough calligraphy kits for all the standbys so I was essentially just watching a tutorial, but even those standbys that did get a kit were not seated at a table so they had to practice on their laps. Lame. I figured out pretty quickly that being registered for a class was not enough, you have to get to the classroom early so that you get a good seat or table. By the time Saturday rolled around, I was a an expert. I attended both Becky Higgins classes on Project Life and the Project Life App. I already knew about Project Life and how it works, but listening to Becky Higgins was such a treat. She is just lovely and I did learn a thing or two about the Project Life App and I may even use it some time. My second class was a water coloring class and I'd say that was the highlight for me. Getting that watercolor pallet gave me lots of joy and then getting to water color made me feel like a kid again. It was so fun.

Lastly, I took a wood painting class. I essentially just painted a wooden "hello" sign, but still pretty fun.One other thing to keep in mind is that some of the classes have "optional" kits that you can purchase. For example the water coloring class cost me $15.00 (for the water color pallet and brush) and the wood painting class was $10.00 (for the sign and paint) both were plus tax. So the materials for the classes are not included in the pass you buy to get into the conference. Overall I really enjoyed myself, particularly on Saturday. There weren't a ton of vendors, but I still managed to get some steals on some scrapbooking supplies (like, $3.00 12 x 12 paper pads!) so I think it's safe to say that I will be attending this conference again next year. Just a few things to remember these tips for next time:

1.) Register, register, REGISTER for classes well in advance if you can;

2.) Even when registered for a class arrive at least 15 minutes early and get in line so you get a good seat/table; and

3.) If you get the 2-day pass, hold on to that band that gets you into the conference. I was scolded for taking Friday's off and asking for a new one on Saturday (even though they could have checked my ID to make sure I was the person on the ticket!).

My watercolor creations 

My Hello sign
For more information go to the Pinner's Conference website,

I hope to see you there next year!

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment