Thursday, March 8, 2018

Fat Girl: A True Story by Judith Moore


It has been a while since I wrote about a book, but it has also been a while since I read a book that really moved me. I finished Fat Girl: A True Story recently and I was moved to tears by it at least a handful of times. 

This memoir is mainly about Judith Moore's difficult childhood as an overweight little girl who is constantly yearning for love, acceptance and affection from her single mother. At times it is difficult to read because you feel so heartbroken for Judith. It is not a happy book to say the least, but I think this book is perhaps a great reminder to us all to be a little kinder to people because we have no idea of the things that they have experienced in their lives and why they are the way they are. 

Judith's story reminded me very much of my own struggles with weight and how people have been quick to judge me. Not to say that I haven't been that person who has made a quick assumption about someone I barely knew. I have been guilty of this as well. At the end of the day we have to remember that nobody's life is perfect and the way that each of us copes with our hardships is unique to each of us.

Overall I enjoyed reading Judith Moore's memoir. I was a little disappointed because the book seemed to end kind of abruptly, but I think what I enjoyed the most about it is that I could relate to many of the things Judith experienced and felt and knowing that another person in the world has had similar experiences makes me feel a little less like a freak and a little more human and we could all use more of that feeling can't we?

Thanks for stopping by.

-Liz 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment